The Franklin County Municipal Court has established the Court Security Program
to comply with standards established by the Ohio Supreme Court. The purpose of
these standards is to establish a safe environment in the courthouse for elected
officials, court employees, case participants, and the visiting public.
It is the policy of the Franklin County Municipal Court that all visitors successfully complete the physical screening process before admittance to the building is allowed.
Upon entering the Franklin County Municipal Court, visitors shall place all items such as bags, packages, and purses through the x-ray machine. All items are subject to being searched for prohibited items. Additionally, visitors shall successfully pass through the walk-through magnetometers. To successfully do so, visitors should observe the following procedures:
- Remove all metallic items from pockets and placed into the plastic tray. These items include, but are not limited to coins, gum wrappers, keys, lighters, cigarettes and any other metallic item.
- Electronic items that shall be placed through the x-ray machine include, but are not limited to laptops, cell phones, pagers and electronic day planners.
- Outer garments with a large amount of metal (zippers, buttons, tags, decorations) should also be removed and placed through the x-ray machine.
- If visitors unsuccessfully pass through the walk-through magnetometer, they are subject to search with a hand-held metal detector by court security officers.
- During high visitor peak hours, it is recommended visitors arrive at least 15 minutes prior to their appointment.
More information regarding these policies can be obtained by contacting:
Office of Court Security
Franklin County Municipal Court
375 S. High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Director: Danny Whittier