Skip to main content

How do I release a garnishment against a debtor?

Complete and file a garnishment release form provided by the Clerks office and we will issue to garnishee.

How do I get the creditor to release the garnishment?

Contact the creditor or their attorney to work out a payment plan. You may ask them to file a release. If you have direct deposit and they garnished your Bank account; you may file a request for a hearing. The money will be held by the Court until the hearing and a Magistrate will decide how to disburse the money.

Can the Plaintiff file a garnishment?

Yes, if there is a judgment in the case.

Is there any way to tell what the interest rate is on my garnishment?

Yes, if you have your case number, call our file room at (614) 645-7220. A deputy clerk will check the judgment entry.

My wages are being garnished. How can I stop this?

First, request a hearing and the money will be held by the Accounting/Finance Division. The hearing will be held to address the garnishment only. If you wish to contest the judgment, you need to seek legal advice.

If the garnishment is valid, where does the money go?

The money is received by the Accounting/Finance Division of the Clerk's Office. After four weeks, it is sent to the Plaintiff or the attorney for the Plaintiff.

How much have I paid to date, or how much has the clerk's office received in garnishments from my employer or bank?

By looking in the 'Costs' docket you can see how much has been receipted and paid out. This information can also be accessed on our Records Search page.

I am being garnished and I don't know why, can you help?

If you call or come in to the Clerks office, we can give you some information such as who sued you, when they got their judgment, and the name and address of the attorney. However, the Clerks office cannot advise you on how to fight the judgment. You must seek advice from a qualified attorney.

Can I collect interest on my judgment?

Each year the Ohio Tax Commissioner sets the interest rate on judgments. The current interest rate is 3%. This document provides past interest rates and calculation formulas. The interest rate is determined by the year in which you obtain the judgment.