Applications will only be accepted in June and December. Applications received at any other time will be discarded without consideration. Applications not meeting the minimum qualifications will be discarded without consideration.
The Franklin County Municipal Court maintains a list of attorneys in private practice who are willing to accept appointments for cases in the Franklin County Municipal Court subject to conflict with the Franklin County Public Defender's Office.
Per Local Rule 16.02, in order to be accepted to the list, attorneys must:
- Be a licensed Ohio attorney in good standing for at least one year
- Have completed at least six (6) hours of continuing legal education in municipal court criminal practice and procedure (Optional: attorneys wishing to be appointed to misdemeanor OVI cases must have completed at least six (6) hours of continuing legal education in OVI practice and procedure)
- Have experience as lead counsel or co-counsel on ten (10) or more criminal/traffic cases. Of the ten cases, at least five (5) must be as lead counsel
- Have practiced in the Franklin County Municipal Court within the past year
- Maintain professional liability (malpractice) insurance in the amount equal to the minimum coverage required by the Ohio Rules of Professional Conduct
On occasion, the Court needs attorneys who are willing to accept appointment as counsel for criminal and traffic appeals originating in the Franklin County Municipal Court. Please note that because these circumstances occur infrequently, attorneys on this list may only be appointed to one case every five years or so. Applicants must meet the same requirements for the regular appointed counsel list, as well as have experience with criminal appeals.
Applications can be turned into:
Appointed Counsel Coordinator
Franklin County Municipal Court
375 South High Street - 10th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Attorneys who are accepted on the Court Appointed Counsel list will be given further information about the orientation and mentoring requirements of
Local Rule 16.